This half-day ‘Companion Rescue’ course is ideal for the experienced backcountry traveller wishing to sharpen their rescue skills and learn the latest techniques and concepts. We will review fundamentals, introduce advanced methods, and then apply them to complex scenarios.
Participants will learn:
- The importance of beacon skills (burial-time to survival statistics)
- New and emerging theories, practices and devices in avalanche safety
- Basic and advanced beacon operation and search principles
- Single vs multiple burials
- Strategic probing and shoveling
- Rescue leadership and group management
- Overview of first aid and emergency skills needed in an actual rescue
Bring your backcountry gear, including beacon, probe, shovel, and most importantly… bring your backcountry partners.
Location: Mary Jane Base, Winter Park Ski Area
Dates: March 10, 11
Course length: 4 hours
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details